Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Does text fall uder slander or libel A friend of my son

Customer Question

Does text fall uder slander or libel
A friend of my son texted me that another friend of my son "does" heroin. she also said the entire family does herion, including parents and grandparents. She says she has proof, but she refuses to elaborate on the proof and won't tell me the location of these people. Would this be considered slander or libel?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The difference between slander and libel is that slander is generally an oral defamatory statement while libel is 'printed'. Since texts are generally written down, they are treated as libelous, although both slander and libel have exactly the same conditions and create the same injury in the victim.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.