Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I'm **, This morning I received a call on my answering

Customer Question

Hi I'm **,
This morning I received a call on my answering service stating that "This is the IRS. We are calling for Peter Garich . The IRS is suing you . Call this number as soon as possible.(###) ###-#### ***** from Colfax WA.."
I was quite upset about the call and I wanted to find out about the number--if it was an IRS office or not. I called a reverse number search company and the reversed the number and found it came from a house (residence) number and not a business, like the IRS. They even showed the Google map of the location and there were no big commercial buildings by it at all only a house.
They I asked a friend who knows something about legal matters, he works for Tax Center and my sister, and he and she said they (IRS) would send a letter(s) (4 most likely) of their intent to bring a legal action, like this tax matter of suing me and not even telling me why--in fact my sister said they usually need to send 4 letters out to the person they are bringing action against and then a final letter that takes a definite final action where they can take your bank account, etc. But back to my question; what do you think about what I have told you. Do you believe the IRS would just call from a residential phone and tell me to call them back because they were suing me? Is that the IRS's way of doing this kind of business. And my friend at Tax Center said that the IRS is always telling him when he needs to contact them about a matter to watch out for these kind of situations which are usually scams to get identification information--S.S. card numbers etc. I look forward to hearing back from you. And one more thing. If you think it may be a scam what should I do to stop it or them?
Thank you
**
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

This is total scam.Do not give them any information.The IRS does not operate this way.If it makes you feel better I had one of these on my answering machine the other day and check it out.This is not legitimate but scammers who want you try and get your social and other information for identity theft. If they call again hang up.They use a robo calling system from what I can tell they call thousands of people a day trying to get information to scam people.Don't be a victim here.The IRS contacts folks by mail or in person not over the phone . Expect more calls I have gotten two and they are pre recorded by the robo callers.

All you can do is ignore them here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have m roe follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Peter this made the news, apparently this is nationwide scam..
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Scam-Calls-Claiming-IRS-Suit-Hitting-Again-320527272.html
Stay safe do not return their calls.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is absolutely much appreciated.Thanks again for letting me help you.