Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Need help with a NC domestic question

Customer Question

need help with a NC domestic question
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
What can I answer for you, please?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fiancé and I have lived together for the past 5 years. In the same residence. Recently found her having an affair; she is now trying to kick me out of the house. My name is ***** ***** the deed to the house however I pay expenses etc. what are my rights, can she kick me out of the house? What is the process she must go through and how long will it take
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
Someone in your situation is a "tenant at will." A tenant at will is someone who has no right to occupy the premises, but is tolerated by the owner and may be terminated at the will of the owner.
Even though you have paid expenses, there is no right for "reimbursement" unless it is in writing and does not give you the right to live on the property for an extended period, regardless of anything else (relationship, affair, expenses, etc).
She has to give you notice in WRITING asking one to leave (how many days is not specified under NCGS §42-14, but 3 is the norm, it may be more), and if one does not leave, then she can formally evict.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.