Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a traumatic brain injury which has given me a

Customer Question

I have a traumatic brain injury which has given me a horrible temper.
I found the only thing that curves my temper is marijuana and was wondering if I meet the guidelines for getting a medical marijuana card. yesterday was my one year anniversary and it was a horrible day. My wife left with my 3 kids and called the police on me. I was not arrested. There was no physical contact. I broke a vacuum cleaner.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question. I am a New York State criminal lawyer.
Unfortunately, there is no medical marijuana program as yet in effect in NYS. It's been passed and in the works, but it won't officially be implemented until January 15, 2016. You can see the eligigibility criterion for patients on the state's Medical Marijuana FAQ page. It states that patients would be found eligible if:
"they have been diagnosed with a specific severe, debilitating or life threatening condition that is accompanied by an associated or complicating condition. The law identifies the following severe, debilitating or life threatening conditions: cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury with spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathy, and Huntington's disease. The associated or complicating conditions are cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, or severe or persistent muscle spasms."
More disabilities will be added to the list, and others will be considered. It will be up to your doctor to decide whether marijuana is appropriate for your condition if it's not on the list.
https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/medical_marijuana/faq.htm
Nevertheless, there is nothing that can be done now.