Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Do I have to answer an information subpoena on a judgement

Customer Question

Do I have to answer an information subpoena on a judgement that is past it's statute of limitations? The judgement was issued in Dec of 1993
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Yes, you still have to answer to the suit. The statute of limitations is a defense to the suit, but it is a defense you have to raise. The court will not raise that issue on its own. If you don't file an answer and contest the suit, the judge will grant a default judgment against you and you will lose. You can't then come in after the default judgment and raise the statute of limitations issue. That needs to be done now.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.