Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I have been prescribed a psychiatric service animal by my

Customer Question

I have been prescribed a psychiatric service animal by my psychiatrist. I am not able to have a dog, so I have a cat that's the closest thing to a dog, the breed is a Bengal. my work has denied me from being able to bring her to work with me. they say only dogs and miniature horses are recognized as service animals. is this legal? I can't have a dog and I feel that because I don't have a dog they are discriminating against me because it's a cat.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I must ask, is your cat registered as a service animal, or not? I ask because that is critical--simply having an animal, be it a dog, cat, horse, pig, ferret, and so forth is NOT a right, but if the animal in question is recognized as a formal service animal, then the employer cannot discriminate as it would violate the A.D.A. (Americans With Disabilities Act) regulations. So if you simply got a cat, but not registered, the employer is 100% within their rights to refuse you the right to bring it to work. But if you formally registered it as a service animal and you have a doctor's notice, then it is no longer something that the employer can legally refuse you.

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the ADA recognize dogs as service animals? no she has not been registered yet, but I have a script from my psychiatrist. how do I properly register her? everything I've read has said only dogs and miniature horses are recognized. but if I can't have ether one, am I suppose to suffer because I have a cat? any info would be appreciated. thank u
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
above email I meant does ADA recognize cats?? sorry for the typo
At this time the ADA recognizes only dogs as service animals. Please see here:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
I have been looking, as in the past any animal could have been registered, but at this point on a federal level just dogs are recognized. However you may want to contact your state's divisions and see if they can issue service animal status to a cat (since a state can choose to have different standards from the federal basis, provided that the federal standards are included). You do not have to suffer because you can still choose to get a dog.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.