Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I paid to have my daughter in laws car parts bought, She has

Customer Question

I paid to have my daughter in laws car parts bought, She has not paid, How do I get my money
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
If she won't pay you voluntarily, file suit against her. As long as it's not a big amount of money, you should be able to do this in small claims court without the need for a lawyer. Filing the suit will you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if she doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on her for a debtor examination. That forces her to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about her assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to garnish wages (unless in PA, NC, SC, or TX which do not allow garnishment in these cases), attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property she owns to satisfy the judgment. In my experience, simply filing the suit is typically all you need to do to resolve this outside of court because most of the time, once served with a summons she is being sued, she will settle this rather than defending a suit she can't win.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!