Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Recently I went into business with my neighbor and had a

Customer Question

Recently I went into business with my neighbor and had a huge falling out when he tried to have me committed to a rehabilitation institution for excessive use of adhoral. I told him he was crazy and also told him where to go. He then sued me in civil court and lost again as he demanded the original working files and intellectual property for a project he did not fully pay on. So now that is all behind us and a new issue is taking storm.
My neighbor who lives directly next to me has put up 15 to 18 Surveillance cameras around his home. The majority of them are pointed on my front and backyard. When I open my front foor the cameras can see into my house. They are the dome type that have robotics on them so he can follow me around the yard or watch me working out in my gym. This guy is a creep and has sworn to me that he is going to have me kicked out of the neighborhood. My association warned him about the cameras and all he did was paint them to obscure them.
I have a little 20 month old son and a 10 year old son. My wife is beside herself and we feel our privacy is being invaded and it seems pretty clear that he is recording me arguing with him out in front. I knocked on his door once to try and be amicable and he called the police and tried to put me in jail. I don't want this guy to ruin my future but he has already threatened to take video and audio recording to a judge and said he is going to press charges. I did not threaten him so I am not worried however I am irate and pissed off because I don't want to be recorded on my own property! What do I do or better yet, what can I do?? Thank you so much.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Texas
What have you tried so far?: Calling the Police and Association did not help. The Police said there is not much they could do about it and the 2nd officer who came out told me to be really careful as my neighbor is building a case against me. My association feels for me and they have approved 8 foot bamboo trees but his Cameras are a lot higher than 8'. So he can still view my family in our pool. I'm just more worried about him setting me up or illegal wire tapping me on surveillance cameras and want a cease and desist plus a restraining order from having cameras pointed at me property.

Response: This is quite outrageous. You need to retain the services of a local Attorney who handles privacy issues, if you can afford one to file Emergency Petition with the Court to stop him from pointing the camera on your property or to remove the cameras all together and get one that only can be pointed on his own property. An application for cease and desist Order should also be made a part of the Emergency Petition.
You can use the following sites to find local privacy Attorneys:
http://www.lawyers.com
http://www.justia.com
http://www.findlaw.com
You may also file the petition and application for cease and desist order yourself. You can obtain blank forms at your local Courthouse at the Clerk’s office.