Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Can an Australian officiate a wedding in Napa California?

Customer Question

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
California law allows a religious official of any denomination to perform a marriage. A person who is performing a marriage because he is a judge or retired judge would have to have worked as a judge either in California or the federal court system. A person who is performing the ceremony as a member of the legislature has to be part of the California legislature. So, it's not the person's nationality that makes a difference - it comes down to under what Sub section of Cal. Family Code, Section 400 they're performing the ceremony. A priest, rabbi, or minister does not have to be a resident of California or an American. They will have to follow all California laws regarding returning the marriage certificate.
If the person does not meet the legal requirements, the couple has the option of getting legally married by a clerk at City Hall and then having anyone they want speak at the celebration with friends and family later.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.