Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Received two letters of judgement in the mail today. What

Customer Question

Received two letters of judgement in the mail today. What should I do? My only income is social security, but am buying a home and have a vacant lot
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: You need to try to settle. Even if your Social Security benefits cannot be attached, you have other assets that can be attached. A lien can be put on your vacant lot. If you purchase the new property, the Judgment creditor would put a lien on it to satisfy the Judgment. It is better to settle the debt before putting any property in your name—before buying the property.