LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a friend who has not had a full pay check because of

Customer Question

I have a friend who has not had a full pay check because of garnishments for about two years. She has contacted the county which over sees these claims,and they say they don't see anything to be concerned about. She is just finishing up on a garnishment, and got a call today to sent papers to start a new one. What can she do to stop further issues like this? Who should she contact for some answers?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Are you saying that one garnishment is ending and a new one is about to begin?
2. How many bad debts does she have out there?
3. Is any of this dealing with child support or spousal support?
4. What are all the debts for that she is facing?
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the person with the garnishments. I was served my 1st garnishment in December 2013, the 2nd one came in April 2014 back to back. This was paid off in March 2015 for a total od $4200. The 3rd garnishment was started 2 weeks after the second one was paid for but it was on the same case as the 1st one. I have contacted my county sheriff who told me I was done after this one was paid and found out today I'm being served more papers which will be for Another garnishment. I have had a 2 week reprieve from this on my wages since December 2013. These bills are all medical bills from 2 surgeries I had 10 years ago while I was uninsured and making less than $13k a year supporting a child by myself. I have checked my credit report and they don't show up but obviously they have been filed with the courts in order to have my wages garnished. I have not been given a chance to defend myself and keep getting blindsided with this. I don't know what to do and I don't have any money to pay for an attorney so this is the only way I can communicate with you. So please just a response through my email is sufficient. Thank you.
Anita
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
There is only one way to protect yourself, and that is probably going to require that you get an attorney.
All these old debts are dischargeable in bankruptcy. That is the ONLY way you be rid of them for good.
So long as these medical bills exist, the judgments can be renewed and they incur significant interest amounts as well.
I strongly urge you to contact a local bankruptcy attorney so you can get these debts discharged in bankruptcy and start fresh.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug