Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My mother recently passed away. As a memorial to her I had

Customer Question

My mother recently passed away. As a memorial to her I had cloth hankerchiefs printed with her recipes on them. My siblings are afraid someone will take and market the recipes for themselves. My question is can I patent the hankies with recipe or should I patent the recipes to proteCT it?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, you can't patent or copyright recipes. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

If you choose to try and protect the exact expression of those recipes then you can bundle them into a book and copyright them or you can copyright each one separately, subject to the restriction as stated on the copyright office website cited above.