Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I live in the state of florida and my land lord asked me to

Customer Question

I live in the state of florida and my land lord asked me to pay rent in cash because they are on disability can they do this they stated that if I don't pay in cash it would effect their disability payment is this legal of him to ask this
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Essentially, your landlord is asking you to help them commit fraud. No, that's not legal.
If the landlord had requested that you pay the rent in cash and not said why they were asking, that wouldn't be illegal. However, note that unless your lease requires that you pay the rent in cash, the landlord cannot force you to do so. You're allowed to pay with a check, and he must accept it.
You can contact Social Security about this situation here:
http://oig.ssa.gov/report-fraud-waste-or-abuse/fraud-waste-and-abuse
It is a violation of Fl. Stat., Section 83.64 for a landlord to evict a tenant, terminate his lease, or raise his rent because the tenant exercises his legal rights. If you refuse to pay cash because your lease doesn't require it, you're protected. Also, it would not be in the landlord's best interests to try to evict you in that scenario, because then you'll tell the judge why, and the judge will report him for fraud. At the very least, the judge will ask disability to investigate the landlord's income.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.