Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

What are my rights when a storage company places a lien on

Customer Question

what are my rights when a storage company places a lien on my personal property for non payment when 1. they suddenly increased the rent 2. they did not send a description of items contained in the storage unit. 3. I never received nor signed for the certified mail they claimed to have sent stating that a lien had been placed 4. they made me aware of the auction 7 days prior instead of the Colorado mandated 15 days 5. they made me aware of the auction via email without sender receipt from the auctioneer directly 6. when I called the day of the auction and asked if I could bid and purchase my own storage unit at the auction, I was told that my starting bid would be $300+ whereas every other bidder would start at $1. I was also told that because the auction was being held later that day I could no longer pay my bill and the lien fees in order to retrieve my items. Colorado law and statutes state that I could pay that and take possession up until the moment the auction begins. I am devastated. I lost personal sentimental items from my deceased father. They were priceless and irreplaceable. I recently suffered a moderate TBI in a car accident which has caused difficulty with my memories of him already. I sent a friend to the auction to buy my items because I was told I could not participate without paying significantly more than other bidders. When my friend went he said they had "merchandised" my items to make it look more appealing and one of the employees of the facility was blurting out false statements like " I think there is more of those behind it" to rack up the bidding until finally someone was able to outbid my friend for over $500 Now they are saying it was sold for $375 and that I still owe over $90 for the lien fees. My friend paid the woman that purchased my items $200 if she would bring the sentimental and valueless items and important paperwork to the front office. She accepted and agreed. I have called and stopped by the front office almost every day since (June 25th) and still no items have been left-at least that is what the staff says. Please let me know if I have been dealt with as unjustly as it feel according to the law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.