LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was fired affectionate with my male client, who has

Customer Question

I was fired for being affectionate with my male client, who has dementia. He pursued me and I was afraid to refuse him as I need to work. I doubt I could do other work. Was his care giver 3 years without a problem.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Would you mind sharing with me exactly what your question is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I qualify for unemployment pay since I was fired for misconduct, meaning I kissed my employer ( and he kissed me) sitting on his couch in his house? He made the first move. He asked me to come and sit "right by him".I thought it possible I could lose this job (I am 70 yrs. young) and was unsure I could do other work (I have ADD and am getting slower working). He has dementia, and I was responsible for keeping him safe.

Thank you for the additional information. Unemployment pay can be denied if there is employee misconduct and the firing was a result of something the employee did. On its face, it would appear to be the case, since you had relations with the man you were caring for. However, if you felt intimated and you thought you would lose you job or he said or did something to indicate that and you were forced to do this out of fear, you could have a defense. When you speak with them tomorrow, you need to present evidence/testimony to convince them that this was the case and you could not deny his requests or else you would be out of a job.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!