LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Today I walked into a Retail store to purchase air freshner

Customer Question

Today I walked into a Retail store to purchase air freshner items. It is a reasonably popular name brand Retail store where decorative, furniture, home items are sold. The assistant helping me spent about 10-12 minutes helping me find my items. When I brought the items up to the counter we were chit chatting about these items and I said I was happy with my purchases. The same woman helped me find the items was also checking me out at the cash register. I picked up the bag and said have a great day. She responded by saying "Have a great night....Fag". She said this as I had turned around and started walking away. There were no other people around us when she said this. I was shocked but I kept walking because I wasn't sure how to even react or respond. Do I have a potential case against this retail store even though I virtually have no proof? Anti gay slurs directed at customers (satisfied customers at that) seems extremely hurtful and rude. I am not sure how to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did keep the receipt to show that I have actually made a purchase at that location/store.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. That is a hurtful and offensive things to say but it is unlikely that you could sue the store for damages, as a result. However, you can and should report this to there cooperate headquarters and allow them to investigate the matter. This is something that could result in the employee being terminated, as I am sure they do not stand for their behavior. As you shared, it is going to be your word against that of the employees, so it will be at their discretion who to believe but you can certainly file the complaint.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!