Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My wife shoplifted in a Walmart in Oct/Nov 2014 & was

Customer Question

My wife shoplifted in a Walmart in Oct/Nov 2014 & was caught. Se had never done this in her life. At the time she was in a steroid induced psychotic state. The steroids were being taken as result cerebral brain swelling. She was treated for an aneurism the following January. One of the symptoms is risk taking. Despite a letter from my wife's doctor and research done by me pointing to said evidence the symptoms ( I had to alert the Judge that this was in the file so he evidently hadn't reviewed the file prior to my wife's name coming up on the docket) of the psychosis the judge imposed a fine of $200. If he stated to stay out of Walmart during the appearance we did not here it but noticed it later in the documentation. If he stated or we heard him we would have told him we already had an agreement with the Head of Security at the sore that my wife could go into the store if she was with me. That being said a fine was imposed even though all items were recovered but no conviction. Recently more milder mania symptoms have appeared and her anti psyhotic meds dosage has been increased. During a slight mania phase se unthinkingly entered the store alone to pick up some prescriptions and was issues a Uniform Criminal Citation for trespass 7 will have to appear in court again.
2 questions:
- What could the consequences be &
- Will it help to retain an attorney?
2 Qustion
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a criminal matter, she must have an attorney and make no mistake, get her one it is not something she can defend herself on.
Her psychotic state would have to be determined and documented by her doctor and you need to present that evidence to the court through her attorney to seek to get the trespassing charge dismissed and there is a good chance here if she was going to get her medication. So there is a good chance to get a dismissal, but without an attorney it is likely going to be the judge just fining her again.