Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I recently won a large amount of money in a European lottery

Customer Question

i recently won a large amount of money in a European lottery over in South Africa at first i thought it was a scam but when they told me to check the numbers online and to verify that it was my numbers that were picked i did what they asked me sure enough all six numbers had won after emailing the rep for the lottery who lives in Johannesburg he verified that i had won money and that he was a legal practitioner and i indeed was the legal beneficiary of those funds and he was the attorney for the Shawstakers Lottery Promotion Organization in he then instucted to send his law firm 368.00 for a Affidavit for proof that i had won and this would legally proove it so i sent the money for the Affidavit by western union i was then told i had to pay a bank transfer fee since my funds had to be internationally transfer to my bank in L as vegas i need someone to call me at(###) ###-####to see if they might want to represent me in this matter first confirming that i won and helping me get the funds transfered into my chase account. The name of the bank in South Africa is ABSA Bank Corporate bank it is located in Pretoria South Africa they have already sent me several bank corporate papers which are transfer forms overseas forms telegraphic etc i have all the papers that were signed by the head of the credit dept well in order for me to get the funds they charge a transfer fee of 3825.00 dollars because of what happened on Sept 11 2001 the problem i have is i can't pay that fee but if i can have someone take this case i know they charge for expenses but i won't have that problem when they get the funds transfered for . I am a senior citizen and i can't afford it and i know there is a real honest attornry that could help me and to confirm and if there is someone out there that would like to help me or could refer to that attorney i would be eternally thankful and buy that person a steak dinner on me lol just a little humor because if it is confirmed by my attorney that i did win that money i could afford to laugh and be happy but i won't be poor plus i would be interested in having them retain my services in the future such as tax attornys financial adviser and so forth sorry it was a long email but i need someone who has experience and due whats right for me it this becomes true i will never need anything again no more gov help that's for sure thank you for reading this email my cell is(###) ###-####they say the funds are in the United Kingdom waiting to be transfered.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Unfortunately, this is a scam. These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. Your initial instinct were correct when your gut told you that if you had truly won this lottery, they should have just taken any money due from your winnings. No matter what they tell you or show you, had you won, they would do this. You should never send them any money up front or provide them any information about your bank accounts. If they want you to pay them anything to get your money, it's a scam. If you had won the lottery, they can deduct any expenses, taxes, fees, etc., from the winnings in ALL events. if they tell you this is not possible, it's because there is in fact that you really did not win anything from which to deduct these costs. There are no sets of circumstances where if you had truly won this lottery that you should have to do anything but receive your money net of any expenses. If they tell you otherwise, all that tells you is there is no lottery proceeds and you are being scammed.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating