Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Is it illegal to shoot squirrels, mature and, off fence with

Customer Question

Is it illegal to shoot squirrels, mature and young, off fence with high powered water hose from their deck..
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

The only possible ways it could be illegal is 1) if the local city you lived in had an ordinance preventing it and I have never seen or heard of an ordinance like that or 2) if some prosecutor got it in his mind to call it some type of cruelty to animals and try to prosecute it like that but I've read through the statutes of most states regarding this issue and have never seen one that would make the act you're describing illegal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean people can hurt and cripple squirrels just because they want too? Is there no law protecting the animals from injury
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

There are laws protecting some animals. If you can tell me what state you reside in I would be glad to look up the state statute for you but every one I have seen relates solely to domesticated animals in one form or another.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Illinois.Is there a penal code 597 that states that anyone purposely hurting, killing , etc animals is commiting the law?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

No, California's cruelty to animal statute is 597 but not Illinois.

Illinois has a number of statutes starting with 510 ILCS 70 which you can see at this link.

The statute that seems to be closest is 510 ILCS 70/3.01 and the ones following.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
If you have any specific questions about the statutes please ask them in this thread. I'm fairly certain I know how most DAs will look at the case and how it would be argued from both sides.
If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.
Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.