Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I've had a Notice Of Renewal Of Judgement served by

Customer Question

Hello, I've had a Notice Of Renewal Of Judgement served by mail.
The creditor is trying to renew the judgement anding my wife's name to the judgement renew. Is there any way to protect from being added to renewal?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant , is there a way to prevent them from adding her name to the renewal.
Also. can I ask for a re-evaluation on this case
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. There is no way to stop them from renewing the judgment, assuming that the renewal is timely. However, you and your wife can file an objection to adding her name to the judgment if she was not a party to it originally since that is not a renewal of the judgment but would instead be a modification or amendment of it and it is outside the timeline allowed for that. Unfortunately, unless you weren't served with notice of the lawsuit or judgment before this then it is too late to ask for a re-evaluation of the case since the trial court lost jurisdiction long ago if it is time to renew the judgment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand your answer( file an objection). How is that done, by application fliing or court appearance, or both.
Please, if it's a filing, provide the filing description. I assumed I could object, but I need knowledge of the process.
She was not a party in this transaction, which happen 10 years ago.
Please advise
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
An objection to the renewal is a written document. I'm not aware of a form for that available online so you would either have to draft one from scratch or hire someone to draft one for you. You could hire a local lawyer or paralegal or try hiring someone online at www.odesk.com or www.elance.com. We're not permitted to give you exact directions on how to draft documents or to actually draft the documents, as the click throughs explained. After you file the objection you would ask the court coordinator for a hearing on the matter. If by some chance the judgment gets entered then you and your wife would file a Motion to Vacate Judgment, again alleging that your wife was not a party to the original lawsuit and therefore the renewal was improper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dwayne, can I ask further question or not in days to come?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely, once you issue your positive rating the question locks open and you are free to ask follow ups at any point in the future. If you branch into a new area I may have to remind you it requires a new question but if it is a follow up you can ask whatever you need to ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** good weekend
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
To you as well.
Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will, I'll be in touch early next week , thanks
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.