Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What is the process to reverse a wire transfer? What are the

Customer Question

What is the process to reverse a wire transfer? What are the U.S. protection laws and coordination with Malaysian Banks and authorities? We have already notified our bank here in America and the MayBank in Malaysia where the money was transferred to. The scammer is claiming that the MayBank Manager called him and told him to get a court order. We are not sure if he is bluffing because he has not picked up the phone or tell us through text what is the reason for the court order. He does not know at this point that we are on to him, but have found information on the person that the money was actually wired to (who is not the original person in contact). Thank you in advance for all your help and information!
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry, but there is no process to reverse a wire transfer. Once the money is wired, it is a FINAL action. It is not possible to "undo" a wire transfer. This is why scammers use this for receiving money - it is not reversible, and very hard to trace to find the individual on the other side.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a reality that he can get a court order? We have notified the US Embassy in Malaysia
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
At this point, I would not trust anything the scammer says. They are simply deflecting you.
A subpoena is used to get INFORMATION from third parties who have evidence that may be useful in a case. This is only available in litigation.
A subpoena would be useful here in getting information from the bank as to WHO picked up the money. However, this may not be practical, because (a) one would have to sue in a Malaysian court and use their court system's equivalent of a subpoena, or, (b) sue in US but still enforce the subpoena in Malaysia, which requires filing in Malaysia anyhow.
A civil subpoena is not going to help you here much, likely. This was a criminal scam. You may want to contact the Malaysian AUTHORITIES. Unfortunately, scammers normally cover their tracks well.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who are the authorities in Malaysia that should be contacted?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
The Royal Malaysia Police.
Telephone: +603 - 2266 2222
Email: rmp[at]rmp[dot]gov[dot]my
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not been able to take the money out yet. I think that is why he is bringing up the "court order" as a scare tactic. I have found extensive information on the possible owner of the account that matches up with the name of the person on the wire transfer. As well as, a connection with the location of the bank and this person.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I would not talk to the scammer. I would immediately contact the police as well as a local attorney who speaks English to deal with this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only paying $16 for our conversation and nothing more for each additional question, right?