Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I just ask a question about colorado divorce and will. If an

Customer Question

I just ask a question about colorado divorce and will. If an alternate personal representative is made, will the intention of the will remain in force. Properties are held either jointly or in our general partnership name. IN OTHER WORDS will the intent
that my wife and partner made clear be held as to me the ex-spouse by the new pr?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up.
The probate court will treat the ex spouse as if she predeceased the decedent. In other words, the will remains in force as to other lawful provisions, but the ex spouse is eliminated from any bequest or nomination as representative.
That said, it is always advisable after a divorce to revoke the existing will and create a new one, rather than amend the existing one, so as to avoid any confusion or complication.
Best regards.