Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had a lawsuit against me. I knew it wasn't legitimate. But

Customer Question

I had a lawsuit against me. I knew it wasn't legitimate. But I was headed out of town for some training. I am in the national guard. So I talked to the law office against me and made a deal for a settlement. I have the payment agreement they gave me. And they sued me anyways. Now I have a judgment on my record and credit. Can I get the judgment removed and the courts to change their records to settled out of court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tryed sorting it out with the lawers office. They were rude and wouldn't lessen to a word I had to say.and denied the agreement. So I reported them to the BBB now their threatening to sue me again.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can seek to get their judgment vacated, but it means you need a local attorney and you have to file a "motion to vacate judgment" in the court where it was issued. Your military active duty status is one reason why the judgment should be vacated, as they were not supposed to obtain the judgment while you were on active duty. Second, you can argue the settlement agreement if you have proof of that agreement as well. If you believe the suit was not valid though, I would suggest arguing that you were on active duty so the default was improper and should be vacated and then go to trial to prove that the suit is not valid.