Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is it legal employer in GA to audio record conversations

Customer Question

Is it legal for an employer in GA to audio record conversations between employees?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Is the employer part of the conversation with the employees?.Or are they recording the communications without actually being part of them?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are recording the conversation with out being a part of it. In other words, a fellow employee and myself may be talking a bout our boss. Our boss may bring this up in a meeting with us later on.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then no, that is not allowed and is considered a violation of your privacy rights as well as a violation of federal wiretapping laws. GA is considered a "one party consent state" which means that at least one party to a conversation must consent to its being recorded or it is a violation of 18 U.S.C. §2511(d)..It requires one-party consent and states it is not unlawful "for a person not acting under the color of state law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortuous act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any state.".So if the employer is just planting a recording device somewhere to record conversations, that is completely illegal...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel the telephone call thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
No problem. .Have a great evening, bout my bedtime..Barrister