Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My son sold a car that was titled in to me. The car was registered

Customer Question

My son sold a car that was titled in to me. The car was registered in MN but sold in CA. The title was signed and sent to the MN DMV. The car was an '89 Suburu with 200,000 miles so not worth much. The buyer paid cash. We were contacted by CHIPS about a month ago because the car was involved in a hit and run accident. We told them that the car was sold and have heard no more from them. Yesterday we received a citation for a parking violation. I went online to pay the citation and discovered that there were 3 more citations. This all happened in one month. My son does not have the name of the buyer who obviously didn't register the car in CA. What are our options?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
You need to file a Notice of Release of Liability form with the DMV immediately. See CA Notice of Release of Liability. This would stop your liability for anything involving the car from AFTER the date you file. You can still be liable for tickets or anything that happened with the car prior to you filing this notice with DMV. You should also contact the Minnesota DMV and notify them of the transfer of sale too. That way they can remove your name from the registration. I hope that this has been helpful. Please provide positive feedback!