Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am wondering why I have to pay attorney I didn't hire.

Customer Question

I am wondering why I have to pay for an attorney I didn't hire. I fell in arrears with my hoa payments and the association board verbally agreed to my making two payments per month through a law firm. I completed paying the past due ammount last year so I stopped making the second payment. Now the law firm has placed a lien on my home for non payment of legal fees. I made no agreement, verbal nor written, to pay a lawyer. Why am I obligated to pay for the attorney?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You are paying attorney's fees because your HOA agreement/bylaws/CC&R provide that if a person is delinquent on dues then they are liable for any costs incurred in collection of those delinquent fees. You are paying for the HOA attorney because there is a contractual obligation to do so by virtue of being a member of the HOA and governed by their CC&R and Bylaws. Thus, if their bylaws and CC&R state you are liable, you did have a legal duty to pay them even though you made no other specific agreements verbal or written. You buying in the HOA and agreeing to be a member was your agreement to be bound by their terms and rules.