Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

If I am the one who created and built a file on a company computer,

Customer Question

If I am the one who created and built a file on a company computer, does that now belong to the company? I may be leaving my current employer and need to know if it is legal for me to erase the files that I created?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..If you were working on the job for the employer when you created the program on their computer, then legally they would own it as "work product". But if you created the program while you were off work on your own time, it would be your own personal property and you could delete it if you chose to do so...thanksBarrister