Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am about to send me ex wife a check child support

Customer Question

I am about to send me ex wife a check for back child support and I am afraid that she will also take me back to court for child support modification because I make twice as much now so my questions is, would it be against the law to lie to her about my
current salary or include an old W2 as my current income I understand its not morally right but I currently pay $890 a month to a mother who makes 80k a year and has a house and vehicle paid for she has 0 expenses i seriously doubt any more money would go
to the child besides I am already on the hook for college expenses when they arise anyways so its not like it would go for that.. So my question is basically is it against the law to lie to my ex wife about my income I certainly would never lie to the courts
but if she thought I made the same as 3 years ago I dont think she would take the time to and effort to do a child support modification
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is against the law to lie in any court documents about your income. It is not against the law to lie to the mother about your income. However, if she forces you to court to provide proof you would end up having to tell the truth at that point and cannot submit false documents to the court. As long as you are not lying to the courts and you are not under any court order to produce documents to your ex, it is not illegal to tell her you make less than you actually do between the two of you.