Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am trying to dispute a case with a collectoin company re:

Customer Question

I am trying to dispute a case with a collectoin company re: an eviction in 2012. I requested paperwork from this company and they faxed me a real fuzzy , hard to read move out inspection letter with charges totaling $6,000. Also, inside this packet was someone else's paperwork. How do I proceed with negoiations or does the fact that they sent the wrong info make this null and void?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send them a letter stating that they have not complied as they sent you the wrong information and you will proceed to file suit against them for violation of he Fair Debt Collection Practices Act if you do not receive the correct information in 14 days from your letter. Tell them you realize mistakes are sometimes made, but the debt they are claiming is not your debt and the documents they sent you have not complied with the FDCPA as it does not prove the debt is your debt. Tell them if they have no other documentation, then they need to cease and desist collection as the debt is not a valid debt and is not your debt.
Then, if they do not comply and continue trying to collect, you can seek to sue the collection agency for violation of the FDCPA and seek damages up to $1000 per violation from them.