Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need a small claim attorney to represent myself in 48th district

Customer Question

I need a small claim attorney to represent myself in 48th district court in Bloomfield
Twp. Mi. I would like to file a small claim against the company of five star painting. Mr.
King A. Dominguez of*****in Rochester Hills,Mi.48306.
His company did not do the preparation work on some of the areas on my house when it
painted by them in May of 2013. They did not sand,caulk,or prime as needed This cause two areas
of my house that had stucco to be destroyed by water. The bottom part of my wood windows have
pilled and begain to rot from the weather. I had a two year warranty covering workmanship
and materials, but the work did not hold up pass one year. I would like to file for $1,450.00 claim against them.
Because, that is what another painting company said it will cost to have it repaired. . I have a copy of the bill and agreement that was paid by myself. my name is***** Phone my number is(###) ###-#### ***** mail is***@******.***
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In MI small claims court, neither party is allowed to have an attorney. You and the other party have to represent yourselves. See: http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/library_client/resource.2006-03-07.5270199575/html_view
Furthermore, given that attorneys charge about $200 per hour, for a $1500 claim it would cost you more for the attorney than you would recover, as attorneys fees are not recoverable in your suit and each party would pay their own fees.
You have to file your own suit in small claims, take pictures of all of the damage and get notarized affidavits from contractors with their cost of repair estimates so you can prove your case in court. When you go to court you present all of the evidence to the court against the contractor yourself.