Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

The issue is whether, under CA law, a contract is assignable

Customer Question

The issue is whether, under CA law, a contract is assignable and transferable if the contract is silent on the issue of assignability and transferability.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here all contracts in California are assignable unless the contract specifically forbids it.So here it is the opposite of what you asked unless forbidden expressly in the contract it is assignable.
The other exceptions are the assignment materially alters what's expected under the contract or the assignment violates the law or public policy.
If none of these exceptions are present, language in the contract, material alteration of expectations, or it violates law or public policy the assignment is considered valid under California law.
Reference.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/assignment-of-contract-basics-32643.html
A second one..
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/55748-contract-assignment-illegal-in-california-
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always greatly appreciated.Thank you again for the chance to be of service.