Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a question In Massachusetts Real Estate Law.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question In Massachusetts Real Estate Law. We are doing two eviction cases next month and I already have the court dates filed and set in August. A clerk at the court house (who knows my mom - who owns a few multi family homes) said we can't represent ourselves since we are a corporation now? She said I need an attorney? Is this true and not sure what to do now. We usually go with a letter stating( an emergency meeting was held) and I am representing us in court today against so and so....for the eviction case. My mom is elderly now and will not be attending. Thank you. Sincerely, Ginger my email is:***@******.***
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not to participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please tell me what court this is in? For a diagram to choose from, see HERE.This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woburn District Court, Woburn, Ma 01801
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** clerk is correct here (I asked because sometimes, small claims courts give exceptions). An HOA/COA/etc is a corporation (non-profit or not, still a corporation). Because a corporation is a legal entity, it is like a "person" before the Court. Just like a non-attorney could not represent a person, therefore, a non-attorney cannot represent a corporation (since a corporation is a person in the eyes of the law).So yes, this is true - an attorney is needed. However, an eviction normally does not cost more than a few hundred dollars at most.This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance. I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.