Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a friend who wants to file divorce and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a friend who wants to file for a divorce and doesn't know where to start. What is the quickest and cheapest way to do so? The marriage lasted 7yrs during which the husband received citizenship. He is currently out of the country and she doesn't
know when he will return. . How do you file w/o one person present?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Please tell me what state is your friend wanting to file for a divorce?Does she know how to locate the husband? Is he willing to consent to a divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are nj, she can locate him but he doesn't know about the divorce yet. And can you file w/o his concent?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you. I suggest that if she can find him, she present the uncontested divorce option to him. If he does not agree, then she can file based on a mutual separation and irreconcilable differencesIt will be easier, of course for her to have an uncontested divorce. But if not, and she cannot locate him there are options for her to file and have him served by Publication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What is the cheapest option to go as she doesn't have a lot of funds.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
I suggest she can contact the clerk of the court and request the packet of documents to file an Uncontested Divorce.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
If he will not agree, then she will need to file for a divorce based on the separation and irreconcilable differences. That does not need his consent. But she will need to serve him those documents and he can appear in court and oppose the divorce
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
She can get the forms to file from the Clerk of the Court in the county where she or he live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Sam! I will pass all that on. Have a fantastic day!
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou're welcome. You can post here if you have follow ups. In the meantime, please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you