Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I'm in los angels how do I sue a company in San Francisco?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Could you provide some additional facts to put this into context?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I commissioned a 3D printing company in San Francisco to make an exercise prototype for me. I stated that it needed function properly and that the handles needed to be removable or detachable. They quoted $2000 said it would take 3 weeks, it would function and the handles would be removable. Well, it took 8 weeks and it does not function properly and the handles are locked in with a pin. The company refuses to deal with me. I want to sue them in small claims court, how do I do this?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
The amount you are seeking is well within the range of small claims court but under those facts you are almost certainly going to have to sue them there. The process of a lawsuit is essentially the same everywhere, with a few, minor procedural differences.A lawsuit generally follows this process:1) File the petition in the court with jurisdiction and venue. The court with jurisdiction and venue is usually where the defendant resides or has their place of business. You also have to look at the amount you intend to sue for to determine what court is correct. In your case the small claims court is correct. The petitions for small claims court in California are downloadable from the court website at http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/sc100.pdf2) When you file the petition with the clerk of courts you will pay the filing fee and also ask for citation to be issued and service to be done. The clerk doesn't serve the papers so ask them if you have to take them to the sheriff's office for service or if they will do it. Just follow their directions as to that.3) The sheriff will serve the defendant with the lawsuit.4) The defendant will file their answer.5) You can then do some discovery if necessary but you will need to check with the clerk and ask if your court allows discovery. Some small claims courts do not.6) After that the next step is to set the case for trial.7) During the trial you introduce your evidence and they introduce their's.8) The judge renders a judgment and a written order is entered.That is the basic process of a lawsuit.If you are going to represent yourself you may want to pick up a good book on doing so. I always recommend the one at this site since it is both inexpensive and very good.