LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was driving on a suspended license but there were extenuating

Customer Question

I was driving on a suspended license but there were extenuating circumstances. My girlfriend was in a family fight and I was afraid it was going to get physically abusive. So I put her in the car and drove away. We were pulled over in her truck for not having current tags. I was not driving around for fun--I was trying to get her away from an abusive situation and we were trying to find a hotel. Do I have a chance of fighting this?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. Why was she not able to drive? Did you think about calling the police? After you left the home, why not swtich places with her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove about a mile and would have driven less if I hadnot gone down the wrong road and yes was going to switch out but didn't have time
Thank you. It is going to be hard to fight this and you would need to try and convince the prosecutor that you left out of an emergency situation and could not call the police and walk out or have her drive. If the prosecutor does not want to drop or dismiss the charge and you wanted to fight this, then it would be up to the jury or a judge to decide. The key thing is if there was no other way to leave the home and if you and/or her were in danger. That could justify driving but if you could have walked out of the home and down the street or had her drive or called the police, it would not help your situation.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!