Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I got a court summons 6-30. from a credit card collection agency.

Customer Question

I got a court summons 6-30. from a credit card collection agency. the debt was from Arkansas. I now live in wy. I answered all the complaints with a denial except my name and address. at the bottom I asked the court to diss miss the case because of 1. the statue of limitations has expired.2 there is no legal proof the debt is owned by the plaintiff.3 there is no legal proff of a written contract. then I got a notice from the court for a case management conference aug13. a few days later I got a letter from the plaintiff(wy. rules of civil procedure -rule 5. it basically shows the debt was consigned by 3 diff. companies(2011, 2008, and 2003. am I suppose to answer this letter and disagree to some of its info. ? what if anything am I suppose to send to the court 15 days before the case management conference? if I am to send something do I have to have it on a specific form or can I use a piece of paper.? I want to follow the proper procedures. I NEED AN ANSWER TODAY. PLEASE HELP
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. First off, congrats on handling the answer to the complaint quite well. Rule 5 is just the service of process rule in Wyoming. That is likely why the plaintiffs noted this in the letter. At the moment, as long as you have properly responded to the complaint and any discovery requests (interrogatories and request for production of documents), there is nothing that you need to submit to the court prior to the case management conference (CMC). The CMC is just a meeting with the judge to establish discovery and motion deadlines and a trial date in most cases. You basically go with your calendar and make sure you do not have any conflicts with the date proposals made my the court relative to these issues. In an abundance of caution, you still need to contact the Clerk of the Court in which this action is pending and make sure that you do not have any documents due or pending prior to the CMC. The clerk should be able to look at all filings and tell you this in virtually no time at all by reviewing the court file. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively as well. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks