Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Got a check from (Multi-State Lottery) for $7,847.10 was to

Customer Question

Got a check from (Multi-State Lottery) for $7,847.10 was to call Sherry Thomas telling me it was for insurance and attorney fees, and to contact her before depositing it. I did this, then she told me to purchase a money order and send it by UPS to NIX,*****suite834,in Houston ,Texas 77082 and do not put a name on the money order. I was to do this after the deposit I made cleared. The M/O was to be for $7,847.10. Sounds funny to me- Sherry's was 1-***-***-**** using security code MSM/SK7/714.Also, I was to get $2,500,000.00 when she got back to me. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually true. This is why I am contact you. Thank you for your time in this matter. Sincerely, ***** ***** -6 Mallard Road-Norwalk, CT. 06850 *****@******.*** - Thanks again.....
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Your instincts are correct...this is a well known scam. The check you received is fake and if you deposit it, it will go from your bank up to the clearinghouse bank and then to the issuing bank where it will be denied. Then it is sent back to the clearinghouse bank and then back to your bank dishonored. This process takes about 10-14 days and then your bank would hold you responsible for the amount of the check.
.
In the meantime, your money order, which is valid, has been received, cashed, and the scammers are long gone on to the next victim..
.
You never have to pay anything to collect a legitimate award or lottery proceeds as all taxes and fees are deducted directly from the award prior to the person receiving it..
.
.
thanks