Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My son is at the Twin Towers correctional facility in Los Angeles,

Customer Question

My son is at the Twin Towers correctional facility in Los Angeles, for a failure to appear to a traffic violation 4 years ago. Supposedly has a 90-day sentence. He is a medical school student at UCLA, in 3rd year. Every day he misses his rotations is one step closer to getting kicked out of school. He submitted a form for a work release or an electronic surveillance release, whatever it's called. He was in the jail since Wednesday 7/22, didn't get processed till 2 AM Sunday 7/26. He's a good kid, volunteered at his own expense to serve as a student doctor in South Sudan Africa earlier this year for 3-1/2 weeks. Is there any way to expedite this work release so he can get back to his rotations and not get kicked out of medical school? Please help!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
There is no surefire way to have this expedited. However, the best laid plan is to contact the prosecutor for this area and explain the situation. It would be best to set up an in person meeting with the prosecutor or his assistant and bring proof of his medical school attendance and enrollment. You may also want to show proof of his foreign medical mission work as well. Ask them if there is any way you broker a deal in which he offsets his jail requirement with community service, etc. The prosecutor would then need to file a petition with the court to have his sentence offset. If the prosecutor recommends it, there is a very good chance the judge will accept the recommendation. If the prosecutor is unwilling to help, you can have an attorney file an emergency petition with the court to have his sentence suspended or amended. The petition would request his immediate release and essentially mirror an injunction in that your son faces irreparable harm. If the court denies the petition, you can then appeal to a higher court via emergency appeal. The higher court may be more inclined to overturn and allow a electronic surveillance release or the like. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible in dealing with this extremely important situation. Thanks