LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My wife Ellen was on hospice care when here brother carl in

Customer Question

My wife Ellen was on hospice care when here brother carl in Ohio passed away soon after that Ellen received notice that she was on her brothers will. then my wife Ellen passed away also, and now the attorney in Ohio wants to know if Ellen has an estate here in Kansas. So I need to know if Ellen needs An estate here in Kansas.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Your wife does have an estate----however, for the estate to be able to do anything---such as receive an inheritance from her brother's estate, you will have to open her estate in the Probate Court.
Yes, she will need an estate opened through probate if her estate is to receive the assets given to her in her brother's will. The attorney for the brother's estate cannot simply hand those assets over to you, even though you will get them through your wife's estate.
Speak with a local probate Law attorney about opening an estate for your wife so you can get the inheritance from the brother's estate.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug