Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

If i want to freate buzz around a new initiative using SharePoint

Customer Question

If i want to freate buzz around a new initiative using SharePoint and call it WorkSmart but find out there is a company in the UK selling a product similar to SharePoint and are marketing it under the bame Eorksmart, what are my risks/exposures? This is a document storage portal that will only br accessed and utilized by our employees and business partners for the purpose of doing our business
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Hello thanks for contacting JUST ANSWER. Your major risk is a copyright infringement suit brought against you by the owners of WorkSmart. You might not get sued, but you might be forced by a cease and desist order to change your name after spending a great deal of time, effort and money promoting it. The people who created Eorksmart, obviously saw this problem and used the spelling of the name to try to get around it. Whether they succeed or not might become a matter for the court to decide. You have to decide if it's worth it to try to get away with using the name you prefer, as opposed to selecting a different name at the outset. I hope that this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually mis-typed it. Their name is Worksmart
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I would change would be my guess at why the company spelled it the way they did.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
HELLO AGAIN. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.