Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was at work and a bully approached me wanting to fight. he

Customer Question

I was at work and a bully approached me wanting to fight. he was a bout 2 inches from my face raised his arms and said lets go. I pulled a box cutter without a blade in it and told him if he hits me I will cut him. can I now be in trouble for standing my ground while threatened.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..If you were simply reacting to a threat to your health or safety, then you have done nothing wrong. You have the legal right to defend yourself from an aggressor using reasonable force that is appropriate for the situation. You couldn't have pulled out a gun and shot him unless you were in fear for your life. But threatening to defend yourself with a weapon is not an unreasonable reaction when confronted with a threat of physical injury...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much I have been feeling bad thought I was the one in the wrong
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And you were completely in the right here and could actually file a criminal complaint for harassment or assault if you had "an apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact"".You don't actually have to be physically touched in order to be a victim of assault. Battery is what occurs when someone actually strikes you. But if you just were in fear of being struck by his actions, then that is assault..I might suggest reporting the incident to any HR Dept so that they could document it in case he tries to claim that you started things...thanksBarrister