Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My grandson is with me till Aug 4th and has to return to MA

Customer Question

My grandson is with me till Aug 4th and has to return to MA as he is in their custody. The state of MA is trying to get me permanent custody/adoption...I cannot get answers here in Fl...pls advise?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, interstate custody/adoption issues are not the easiest to deal with. To make matters worse, if MA Child Protection Services is involved, they are one of the most incompetent and negligent agencies you will ever deal with. Their social workers really do not spend the time necessary to help anyone and there are horror stories to support that they are simply not effective in assisting or helping children in need.
This means that in order to deal with them you are going to have to have a MA attorney representing you in MA in your effort to get an adoption or custody order from the MA courts, because they have jurisdiction in this issue. You are going to have to file a petition with the MA court for adoption or custody, serve the state who is currently in control. In the meantime, your attorney in MA would contact FL child protection (who really is not much better than MA) and ask them about getting a home inspection and certification that the home is fit for the child.
Your attorney will get cooperation out of FL in most all cases, because they really dislike dealing with attorneys and the faster they get it done the less time they have to deal with the attorney.
However, I am afraid that the only way you will get this resolved is with a MA attorney taking the matter to court, because until you do so, the state and their social workers will do nothing other than give you lip service and drag this matter out.