John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I am 52 and work in technical support my girlfriend is 53 and

Customer Question

i am 52 and work in technical support my girlfriend is 53 and works as an RN
we want to get married how will this affect our social security when we retire
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
It won't affect your SS unless it is in either of your best interests. Either of you would be able to elect the others SS if it was higher than what you would normally get. But, you don't have to do that...it would only be advisable if you would make more money from the election.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.