Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My husband has a document setting up a bank account in my maiden

Customer Question

My husband has a document setting up a bank account in my maiden name. No where is my married, legal name. Is this legal, should I sign it ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Can you provide me a bit more information? IN what state are you located? For what purpose is he doing this? Is he trying to avoid a creditor in some way? What money is going to be put into this account? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Fl, the account address is VA. This is a corporate account under the name International a Fashions, my name as the sole member .m
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. Has he told you why he is doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because the company will not work with Seta, they have accepted International Fashions. The name Seta cannot be on any documentation so he is using my maiden name. I am uncomfortable signing my maiden name as it is not my legal name.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I agree with you. This is actually going to be a fraudulent transaction. That's because this transaction is being set up in a form to avoid the substance of a prohibited transaction between International Fashions and Seta. By itself, there would not be a legal prohibition against you doing something in your maiden name....although if you don't have any documentation that evidences that this is you, such as a passport and driver's license, it would likely create issues with establishing your identity....when you intentionally do so to allow you to do something indirectly that you would not be able to do directly, you are at risk of participating in a fraudulent transaction.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!