Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I have a temporary handicap parking pass. it had fallen down

Customer Question

I have a temporary handicap parking pass. it had fallen down from the rearview and I was towed and ticketed (even though campus safety knows my car and I've been parking in handicap since February of this year). They are now saying I cannot park on campus anymore (even with the handicap tag) and have banished me to a remote lot roughly 2 miles away from school and are forcing me to ride the shuttle. I appear to be the only car in that lot. They say this is because I have 'excessive' tickets (4 in 4 years including this one - two of which were contested and were accidental).
My question is can they actually refuse to allow me to park on campus in a handicap spot if I have a permit?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
Is it a public campus or private campus?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Private university that gets federal and state funding
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
So this is a fine line. The campus has the right to prevent you from parking on campus for a valid reason, however, it could potentially be approaching discrimination in violation of the ADA. What you may want to do is threaten a lawsuit for a violation of the ADA as discrimination in order for them to change their policy about you parking on campus. The only issue is that because they are providing a shuttle, they may argue that they are providing a reasonable accommodation to you to make it to campus.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any additional questions!