Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I was having issues paying my car payment so i released it

Customer Question

I was having issues paying my car payment so i released it to a member of a church. We signed a limited power of attorney so he can get insurance. My issue is i continue to get toll charges and taxes sent but he will not answer on how he plan to pay them. Additionally he said he would put the car in the church account and be able to pay it off in maybe six months. Its been six months and he has not done it. Im upset because of these charges and I want him to put it in his name because i fear the worst that he may have accident in the car and i may be liable. What advice may anyone provide me
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.What it sounds like you need to do is tell this other person that he needs to put the car in his name immediately or you will revoke his right to drive the car. Then if he fails to comply with your request, you revoke his authority and asked for the car to be returned. If it is not returned at that point, you need to contact the polic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police stated that it's a civil matter
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
Well if the police do not want to get involved, then what you can do is sue the other party in small claims court for breach of contract. There was an agreement between you and him: you gave him the car and in exchange he would put the car in his or the church's name. He has breached that contract so now he is liable. You can either sue him for the damages that you have (basically the toll charges and the taxes) and get your car back OR you can sue for specific performance which will result in a court order requiring him to complete his side of the agreement. If he fails to follow-through with this court order, it is contempt of court and he can be fined or go to jail.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
I hoped that helped. Please provide positive feedback!