Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a friend who is an alcoholic and has been legally committed

Customer Question

I have a friend who is an alcoholic and has been legally committed to a hospital here in North Carolina. I went to the Emergency Room to find out his condition but they refused to acknowledge anything. My question is ... he was at a Rehab Center and was found drunk in his room ... (he had smuggled alcohol into the facility). He was then taken voluntarily to our local hospital. HOWEVER ... no one was notified of this. Not even his designated "in case of emergency" person.
Is this legal?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
I am sorry to hear of this matter. It is going to be up to the policy of the rehab as to what would constitute a phone call to the ICE person. I suggest, generally, a policy will only include situations of life and death. That is normally what is deemed to be an emergency.
Therefore, the answer is no. They do not need to be contacted - unless the patient was in a life or death situation - unless the policy states otherwise.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you