TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My friend and I went to sign up cellular service and

Customer Question

My friend and I went to sign up for a cellular service and after 2 days he called the company and block the service. He wants me to return the phones to him and said he will file a police report for theft.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you I just want to know if he can go to the police and have me arrested for theft like what he is claiming. Because we went together to get the service and phones. Thank you
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. You would only get in trouble for theft if you actually stole the phones. If he bought you a phone and gave it to you as a gift, then that is certainly not theft. In fact, even if you were to refuse to return the phone, it still would not be theft. If the police came to ask you some questions, you could explain to the police that he gave you the phones as a gift. At that point the police would likely tell your friend that this is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. If your friend wishes to pursue any legal action, then he will have to take it up in civil court such as a Small Claims Court. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend said he will tell the police that I scammed him in getting the phones. But he went with me to go get them and then he called in after 2 days and blocked the phones and reported them stolen even though it wasn't.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Whether or not you scammed your friend is a question of fact. I can't say what the facts are since I wasn't there. But as for the law, if you did not scam him, then you are not guilty of theft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you very much. I just want the stolen part to be clarified. Because I didn't stole anything. I paid for the phones with him at the store. I have the receipt with me.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. If you have a receipt showing that you paid for your phone(s), then that seems fairly conclusive that you did not steal the phone(s). I don't believe any police officer would make an arrest in that situation.