TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am the registered owner of a motor vehicle that in the possession

Customer Question

I am the registered owner of a motor vehicle that in the possession of another individual. I have obtained a court order ordering him to surrender the vehicle to me but he refuses. What can I do to have this court order enforced by the courts? Isn't he in contempt of court and now considered to have stolen the vehicle and can I now report it stolen with my local police department?
Thank you
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. It's possible that the police will try to help, but it is not technically theft. Theft occurs when a person unlawfully takes another person's property. In this case, the taking of the car wasn't unlawful (at least you didn't mention it). However, you are correct that the person should be found to be in contempt of court. If I were in your shoes, I would file a motion in the case requesting that the judge find him in contempt. There will have to be a hearing, and the judge will ask the defendant why he has not complied with the court order. Unless the defendant has an extraordinary excuse, he should be found to be in contempt. Once the judge finds him to be in contempt, the judge has several options available, such as fines and even jail time.Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.