TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am legally still married to my husband even though we

Customer Question

Hi I am legally still married to my husband even though we currently separated and due to the fact that in Louisiana there is no legal separation. He has left me and my 6month old daughter without any means of transportation and nor do I have any funds to obtain a vehicle on my own. My parents want to buy a car and give it to me for my daughter and I. However, we are concerned that it will be considered community property begin that me and my husband are still married. So our question is whether or not if the vehicle bought and given by my parents to solely me, be considered community property?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.Yes, you remain legally married no matter how long you are separated. There is no such thing as a common law divorce. However, the car would not be considered community property if it is a gift to you from your parents. Gifts received during a marriage are considered the recipient's separate property.Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.